mum's or MAM's?

My husband and I have been very firm of our decision on not to feed Luqman with any soothers or pacifiers. Until recently.

As he grows, Luqman noticeably drinks more. When I am off to work, I have increased the amount of milk (from 3oz to 3.5oz) for him to drink. I don't want to increase too much as I do not want him to feel bloated and I prefer frequent drinking rather than higher intake for every feed. But mum has been complaining that once he finishes his milk, he started crying - as if he is not satisfied. In many instances, his mouth moves like he is sucking even when the teat has been pulled out. Sometimes, mum has to hold him like she's breastfeeding him so that his mouth is placed at her breast (for him to sort of like suck the nipple) to sooth him/to put him to sleep.

When he is with me, his feeding session now stretches longer. The problem is, I know he is not drinking towards the end; more like he is nibbling the nipple because it makes him go to sleep and it soothes him. If I try to pull it out, he starts to get agitated up to a point where he will cry like I have never seen him before. So, I just let him suck the nipple until he stops - which normally could last until an hour. While I don't really mind, I cannot deny that it is very tiring. A lot of my things got put on hold as I either go to sleep right after or I am just too tired to do anything afterwards.

It could be due to growth spurt but I'd like to have an alternative - a solution especially during the times in need.

A soother instantly came to mind.

I actually bought one (it's from MAM, just like his bottle) a week ago but I am still undecided. For one, I fear that Luqman will be dependant on it too much that his feeding gets affected. So every time I fight the temptation and the soother is nicely kept, still. However, if the aforementioned problems occur, I am even more tempted to feed him the soother but not brave enough to let him try.

I have talked and surveyed from friends who had their child fed with soothers/pacifiers. I seem to get equal pros and cons which add on to our existing dilemma.

A friend asked me back : Do you really need to? I guess I do because I'd like both Luqman and myself (and my mum) to relax once in a while and like I said, especially during needy times (i.e a trip to the mall or anywhere when he is bound to suck longer and once being pulled off, he is awake and couldn't get back to sleep - a soother MIGHT help).

So, what say you?

9 Replies:

Nadia Bakly June 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM  

owh babe, try your best not to give him a soother! The clingy, always want something in his mouth, can only sleep if we nenen, and etc is normal. It went off for Adam. It will be tiring but give it a try as in -just-bare-everything until Luqman is 6 months. You can then try feeding him with solid every time dia rengek2 ngade ;)

me June 4, 2012 at 7:44 PM  

Thanks dear! Now I feel assured not to! :) eventually it will go off kan.

Jarod Yong June 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM  

WOW! So many small decisions with big repercussions in parenting!

L June 6, 2012 at 2:14 AM  

huhu..please jgn bg..
dulu before el start keje, el ade cube bg tapi sambil bg air mate el yg berjujuran..huhu
xsanggup tgk..
last2 layan je.. mmg akan duk lame2 dlm nursery room kt mall tp lame2 die akan okay..
hurm nuh dulu kalo minum 4-5oz x 5 botol per day..
rasenye xkisah increasekan milk die sbb perut die pun getting bigger..
bertabahlah sampai 6m.. :)

me June 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM  

Jarod : yes Jarod! Being a parent means being able to decide the best for our child, even if it is as petty as deciding what clothes to put on them every single day :)

Elyina : thank you thank you for the reassurance! Rasanya skrg mmg yakin lagi la takkan bagi soother tu. Like you, mmg berat hati sgt nak bagi huhu takpe, a few weeks je nak 6 months :)

Raieza Hanim R June 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM  

Hi Tasha!

Just increasekan milk kot sbb he's growing so he sorta needs more :) no soother pls, not good! =)

me June 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM  

Thanks Ieja! Yeah, I think increasing his intake will be the best. And that soother I bought? Nicely kept somewhere already :)

Mommy Brella June 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM  

sorok puting tu tasha!!
I hope I wont be using puting for naufal too hehe

me June 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM  

Yeah, like I said tah mana tah puting tu. Luqman is now ok dah, I guess it was growth spurt :)

Say no to puting!


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)