"Teacher, saya mintak maaf"

What initially I thought was just a normal in-class dispute between 2 boys turned out to be something serious. To make it even worse, I was dragged into this whole ridiculous affair.

Last week, during one of the lessons, I asked my students the meaning of the word 'plump'. I needed to clarify since some of them thought it was the fruit and not the adjective. After I had explained the difference between the two and while the class continued with their discussion, a boy, P, approached me.

"Teacher, R, kicked me. He said I tease his father's name" P complained.

As this was a typical scenario, I didn't take it seriously because this happens ALL the time. The teasing of this and that. And so I just told P to ignore him and let him be. I was about to confront R when I saw he was getting ready to leave with his backpack on and I noticed he was crying. His face was red hot.

"R, what's the matter? Are you okay?" I asked. He did not look at my face and he moved away from me. I thought his act was rude.

Then the bell rang and I didn't get to catch him as he left almost immediately. I was baffled, of course. I turned to my girls and they giggled. They filled me in with what actually happened. As it turned out, something I said had touched R's chord.

"Teacher, ingat tak tadi teacher cakap word 'plump'? Buah plump kan macam masam. Masam rhymes with Jisam, nama ayah R. Tu yang dia terasa tu. Sebab budak-budak lelaki selalu ejek nama ayah dia masam" one girl explained enthusiastically.

However, the explanation tickled me as I find it really ridiculous to have caused such rage in R. You should see the look on his face. I mean, I didn't know and of course it was not my intention at all to tease him like that. Come on! And the kicking? I don't know what really happened too.

It was not until a few days ago when this whole plump issue began to get the best of me. I thought it was left at that last week, but apparently R seemed to make a mountain out of molehills. Whenever I enter the class, he started to be really disruptive. He acted really rudely and call out negative remarks to others while a lesson was taking place. He wouldn't look me in the eyes when I was talking to him and he went as far as to say "Aku bengang dengan Cikgu Tasha. Dahla panggil nama ayah aku plump!" I didn't know if he intentionally said it louder for me to hear, but I flipped out when those words reached my ears.

I gave him a piece of my mind, there and then, heard by the whole class. I was trembling real bad I had to control myself. All the time, R looked down and he dared not move the slightest. I told him I was real hurt by his accusation and his behaviour. I said if there's one person who was supposed to be offended it would be me, not him. At that, I saw his mouth twitched and I know I have said something right, it hurt him.

Truthfully, I was really really hurt. R is one of my favourite student because he is very active in class and he is known as the class joker. So, to have him do something like this to me was totally unacceptable.

I left the class a saddened teacher, unable to fathom the motive of what had happened. I have been giving him the silent treatment ever since. And as the Form 1 students are on holiday due to the PMR examination, I haven't seen him for almost 4 days now. I think his friends must have knocked some senses to him (plus the guilt he must be feeling for hurting a teacher) that a FB inbox message carved a smile to my face. My heart softened. R sent me a message which reads, "Teacher, saya mintak maaf".

Sometimes, those words are all that mattered. Although an explanation would be more appreciated, I applaud him for having to admit his own mistake. I know this must be hard for him but I hope he learned his lesson.

And as for me, I have learned that with students, anything can happen. Silly it may seem to you, sensitivity is actually the key (though I still think this plump issue is downright ridiculous!)


3 Replies:

Rosyada October 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

"Teacher, ingat tak tadi teacher cakap word 'plump'? Buah plump kan macam masam. Masam rhymes with Jisam, nama ayah R. Tu yang dia terasa tu. Sebab budak-budak lelaki selalu ejek nama ayah dia masam"<--- tasha, this is soo funny. punya la jauh kaitannya. yet he still thought it was an intentional offence on your part.

Anonymous October 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

he's a very sensitive boy to get all angry w those 'plump' issue:p

i did silent treatment too when i was hurt by my girls. and yes, it works..:)

me October 10, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

syada : i know right? lol!

ain : oh yes, students seem to give in to this silent treatment :) but i dont think it works best on the older ones though


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)