the mark of torment

It's that time of the schooling year again. I think most schools are now in the midst of their final year exam - which is a total bliss! This time around, JPS has decided to carry out a standardized state exam in which all Form 2 and Form 4 students from all schools will be answering the same sets of questions at the same time. Only the Form 1 students will be answering questions prepared by the school.

Like every tests or exam, the English paper is usually scheduled on the second day. So the bliss is, as you can see, short-lifted. You go back to your table, and you're being shoved scripts by scripts. However, that gives us English teachers (normally) ample time to finish marking the scripts, distribute the papers back to students and give a copy of the finalised marks to the class teachers on time. And everything is pretty much done.

Only, doing so in reality is not as easy as being said. Marking them papers requires a strong willpower from my part. Paper 1 is not a problem at all. Paper 2 gives me shivers. My eyes will start to blur and my hand will start shaking after marking only 4 papers. I've stopped after that 4 papers and I haven't continued since this morning. It's truly a test of patience and fairness. You have to spend an inordinate amount of time on one script to check on all sorts of mistakes you could find and I can assure you after 4 papers, you'll start seeing stars.

Oh, the complexities of responding to students' composition!

0 Replies:


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)