evening is the whole day

I can't believe I actually survived the past 2 days of invigilation. If you ask me, that 2 days were the perfect description of boredom in its truest sense. I had no option but to stare out in the open space, walked around the hall for God knows how many times, and well, just walked aimlessly to kill the longest hours in my life!

The school that I am invigilating is KISAS so I had no problems so far. These are really good students and no one actually went out after half-an-hour. Every one of them stayed until the end and wrote non-stop like their lives depended on that particular paper they were answering. They didn't leave any lines unwritten (seriously). In fact, the only thing that I looked forward to was attending their exuberant needs of more extra papers which, as you can guess my only form of exercise.

Looking at these students reminded me of the year when I sat for my SPM. Coming from a school which prioritizes both quality and quantity, I struggled. Oh yes, I was one struggling student alright. I was pressured because the rest of my comrades were high flyers; studying and grasping concepts seem like a natural thing to them, while I studied like a madwoman that it frustrated me sometimes. I had to go through a series of tumblings and unacceptable failures to get what I want while the rest seemed to ace through so very easily. So I get it that those students I invigilate took revenge and gushed every hope and frustrations into the papers. And hopefully what was being poured will grant them the A's that they aim for.

Being a student is tough these days. While I had only 2 papers of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, they now had to endure three. And I discovered that even Pendidikan Islam has 2 papers now (like what?). I was not aware of such changes because English papers had not undergone any tremendous changes ever since.

I can only hope and pray that they will champion this hurdle, especially to my sister whom I had witnessed showing tremendous effort all year through. So this is it - it's the time to prove yourself. Although sitting for that 2 hour and thirty minutes paper seems like the whole day, it's nothing compared to how it can affect your life.

3 Replies:

Jarod Yong November 20, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

Their lived DO depend on that little piece of paper!

p/s: 1 more month of boredom to go! I feel sorry for you... NOT!

Rosyada November 20, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

love the title.

have u read the book tasha?

btw, jumpa x pn. hema kat kisas?

me November 20, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

jarod : yes, i know. it's just that watching them answering is like they are hanging by a thread! but good on them. ahh, yes, thanks for that reminder. blerrggh~!

syada : i am currently reading it. a quarter more to finish! and no, i didn't bump into her or any KISAS teachers for that matter.


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)