The nesting instinct

I am now experiencing what is called The Nesting Instinct. I guess the book bears some truths after all. In my earlier weeks, I didn't quite believe that I (or any heavily pregnant ladies) will be capable of this sudden emergence of the 'nesting instinct'. By now, most women are simply too tired and worn out. Me included.

However, it is just so surprising that I suddenly feel the urge to clean every surface in sight - that's the nesting instinct. Organising the cupboards, scrubbing the toilet floor, dusting and wiping every surface, arranging the slippers and sandals, and making sure that the cushions are in order are just some of the things that sometimes I find myself frantically do.

As well as the physical signs of labour, a common clue that labour is just around the corner is the sudden emergence of the "nesting instinct". If you are close to your due date and find yourself frantically cleaning out drawers, organising cupboards and dusting like crazy, it may be that you'll soon be welcoming your baby into the world. Nesting is probably prompted by your pregnancy hormones and the instinctive desire to prepare the 'nest' for the new arrival. In the animal kingdom, female animals and birds have similar patterns of cleaning and preparation before they give birth. By having the house spotlessly clean, your baby's room ready and all her clothes organized, you are ensuring that she will have the best chance for growth and survival once she is born

Hurmm. It does make sense, doesn't it?

Naturally, I am a tidy person. Close friends would second that, I know. Throughout my pregnancy, tidiness somehow doesn't really click well with me. I am just too tired to even bother if everything is in place and in order. And people don't really mind - pregnancy makes you get away with things a lot! But of course, there are things that appear bothersome and such a nuisance especially when my husband makes the room a shipwreck - that I cannot tolerate, so gagahkan juga diri untuk tidy everything up. And that's as far as it goes. My sister once said, " Rina ni mengandung jadi pemalas and tak heran dah kemas- kemas". Something that I don't get everyday ok!

Though I am now in the home stretch, being tired and breathless are the things that I can't get away from. With the 'tightening' - Braxton Hicks contraction - ever so frequent now, it makes it really difficult to move about quickly. However, the nesting instinct proves to be so empowering that those things do not come in the way. There is always something to do to please this pregnant lady and I might just tidy up my sister's room after this post is published!

I know some of you would say, "Hey, don't push yourself too hard". No, I am not. I am doing all these within my capability and I certainly take that rest to save my energy for labour (and the wakeful nights that lie ahead!). Besides, it makes me move around so I don't become that lembik, inactive pregnant lady and you know what the old folks normally say, "Aktif sikit dah nak akhir-akhir ni, senang beranak". So there. Habis aktif dah nih! :)

The next 10 days will be an exciting time and a bit apprehensive too. I can't believe it!

Moga-moga dipermudahkan, insyaAllah!

4 Replies:

Jarod Yong December 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM  

WOW.
If every woman had this nesting instinct all day every day, the world would be such a wonderful place!

me December 20, 2011 at 8:34 AM  

I think all women naturally have it. But we're no robots. Sometimes it is just fun to slack around hehe

Anonymous December 21, 2011 at 3:44 AM  

Tasha, I did the same thing two days before Wa'ie popped out. Hehee..Cleaning and tidying up the room, rearranging stuffs after spending almost 12 hours jalan2..hahaha... the nesting instict happened on 20th Apr, my EDD. On that day, I woke up early in the morning to go for the usual check up. When the doctor scanned and told me that the baby was fine, I thought I just had to wait. Right after that, my husband and I went to Alamanda and we ate KFC! (food yang paling meloyakan bg Tiqah sepanjang pregnancy, even pandang muke Colonel pun sgt loya). Tiba2 je rase nak makan..hahaha..sgt pelik.. Two days after that, Wa'ie keluar, alhamdulillah..saja cerita experience Tqah..hopefully Tasha selalu tenang dan banyak sabar waktu akhir2 ni ye..Hugsss~ Mama Wa'ie Zuhayr

me December 21, 2011 at 7:07 AM  

Hehe so cute! Pandang colonel's face pun loya eh? Thanks Tiqah for sharing! I guess some of us do experience it. Yes, I am patiently waiting and praying that everything will go well in the midst of all the cleaning and tidying!! :)


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)