Asam power

I was first introduced to this restaurant by my in-laws. Didn't know what to expect, I thought Thai Asam Fish is just another eatery with Asam Fish as their ultimate dish attraction. Boy, was I wrong. This restaurant is the one where Asam Fish is concerned. This has become my favourite eat out that serves the best Asam Fish after Sri Thai.

Thai Asam Fish is a restaurant that offers Thai and Chinese dishes (with a contemporary twist) which are absolutely affordable and delicious. It is Halal. All the dishes come in three sizes : small, medium and large. One would never judge its outer simple look because you'd be surprised at how excellent the dishes taste.


So, my husband and I brought my family to this place after many canceled plans. It is located at Section 7 Commercial Centre, Shah Alam (near Jakel). This restaurant is just one out of many other eateries one could find at the Commercial Centre. We went there for dinner. So, let's see what we ordered.

Crab meat with tofu soup (de.li.cious!). It warms your whole body and the taste is superb!

Boneless chicken with dried chili

Sotong goreng tepung (serve with mayo and chili sauce)

Dried chicken curry

Butter prawn
And now, the ultimate dishes :

Thai (steamed) Asam Fish (we chose siakap)

I don't normally eat steamed fish, but this dish is an exception. The asam gravy is something I can never explain because it tastes so so good - masam, manis, semua cukup! - and I like the fact that it comes with long beans, tomatoes and ladyfingers, which blend perfectly with the gravy. The fish is cut into half and it is served boneless so it is easy to just scoop the sweet, fresh fish!

Deep fried siakap with mango and sweet chili (a must try!!!)

This is also my ultimate favourite. It's like kerabu served with deep fried fish. The sliced mangoes are so so sweet and sour, together with the red onions and parsley - out of this world! The gravy at the bottom is actually sweet chili sauce, but the sweetness does not drown the taste of the mango. The fish itself is perfectly deep-fried. I can eat this alone, like seriously.

See how full our table was? We also ordered three dishes of vegetables : Kangkong belacan, Mixed vegetables, and Broccoli with mushroom in oyster sauce.

Scraping off the last bit of fish and asam gravy :)

These are just some of the many many dishes offered. I can't wait to try the others on the menu which I bet are just as tasty. Oh, and the fruit juices are so refreshing. We ordered one jug of watermelon juice. They also have Chinese tea. I can assure you , you will not regret coming here.

Overall :

Cleanliness - 4/5
Ambience - 3.5/5
Worth the money - 5/5

6 Replies:

Jarod Yong December 3, 2011 at 9:41 PM  

It's that good, eh?
It's like you just discovered fire!
hahahaha~~

me December 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM  

Well, at least by my standards la. I know I exaggerate sometimes but it is good! :)

Madam Afifah December 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM  

tasha,

thank to you,
i dragged my brother to this restaurant
(^_^)
you are not exaggerating!
memang best!

me December 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM  

YEAY! sedap kan? What did you order? Fifah kat sini ke?

Madam Afifah December 6, 2011 at 4:17 PM  

Kitorang order Thai asam fish tapi pilih ikan talapia merah, butter prawn (my bro's favourite), kailan n cendawan goreng and omelette. Even omelette yang nampak biase tu pun taste superb..

when I showed my brother and sis-in-law the pictures in your blog, diorg kate tengok gambar pun dah nampak sedap =p

I went to KL just for a few days. Nak jumpe my nephew plus jalan2. Now I'm back in jb. Came back this morning.Setia Alam dengan klang dah dekat kan? rumah tasha kat mane sekarang?

me December 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM  

Your brother tinggal Setia Alam ke? That will be our place nanti, tunggu rumah siap. For now, still tinggal dengan my family :) Setia Alam tu kira sempadan dengan Klang eventhough dah kira daerah lain. Tu area Shah Alam 2.


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)