balik kampung

Yesterday evening, we went back to my mother's kampung for buka puasa. I was itching to go back for I haven't stepped on my grandparents' compound for quite some time. The last time my family went back I didn't tag along as I had a school replacement. So the trip back was very much anticipated as I miss my atok and nenek and their home, also known as Alang Kenangan.

Much to our surprise, it wasn't just us who decided to come home for buka puasa. It turned out, there were another 2 families, both my mother's brothers, who arrived prior to our arrival. My face lit when I saw two of my cousins, Ika and Aliah whom I haven't met for God-knows-how long and my eyes grew even wider when I stepped into the kitchen : food of various kind neatly arranged on the dining table. I began to wonder if the food that we brought along will be reserved some space.

The food was just too much to begin with haha From nasi ambang, to yong tau foo, to ayam panggang (whole chicken), popiah basah, popiah goreng, an array of kuih muihs, three different types of drinks, roti boom, murtabak, bubur lambuk. I think I missed out on quite a number of others. Every family thought it was just them who would be home this weekend, and little did we know we would meet and together we brought along food of our choice. Hence, we didn't know which to begin with. The food when brought down, as we decided to eat on a tikar, was lined from one end to the other. Looking at it, one would agree that those food were more than sufficient to feed another 3 families.

Soon, plates and bowls were passed around. We ate heartily but I controlled my intake as I wouldn't want to be bloated, but I eventually did as a result of too much water. Atok ate quite a lot, as opposed to his usual eating nature. I guess his appetite grew by our presence. It was such an enjoyable and intimate moment for all of us although we didn't talk that much. We were all pretty much engrossed with the food on our plates. The only thing missing was a camera to capture the moment and the food of course.

And then came the cleaning and we prayed. I was quite pleased that the leftovers were not that plenty so the food wasn't put to waste. Later my aunts and uncles together with my parents continued the cleaning of the house and it got a make-over of some kind. The children helped a bit but later we were all tuned to the tv together with atok watching the ridiculously funny audition of the Penyampai Ikon. Our laughters filled the air of the watching area, while the elders' voices and the sounds of moving and shuffling can be heard in the entire house. Furnitures were moved to a more suitable place, rooms were redecorated--all in a matter of 3 hours before we decided to be the first to leave.

My grandparents' house is now even more beautiful and it has that modern taste added to it. I have always liked the house. It is the closest I have to something which is very kampung-like and the loo! How can I forget the loo which is totally separated from the house. I still remember during my younger days when I was awake in the middle of the night and I just had to relieve myself. Imagine walking dizzily out into the dark and once in the small cubicle the only thing which was of my main concern was when the hantu is going to appear! Haha I can't quite believe it is the very same house which all of my mother's siblings (12 altogether) have sheltered and it is now still standing albeit decades have passed for us the cucus and cicits to be part of. I guess it is the most valuable asset to all of us apart from the Sarkam descendent which is growing every year. is No wonder it is named Alang Kenangan for the house, no doubt, faithfully stores memories ever since the Japanese Occupation.




My brother and father in front of Alang Kenangan during last year's Raya


The so-called hang-out area at the front of the house

Can't wait for raya!

6 Replies:

Jarod Yong August 30, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

Seems like you just got a preview of Raya.
It's good to dine with the family, innit?

Jarod Yong August 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

I think you just got a preview of Raya!
There's nothing like having dinner with the family, innit?
=)

me August 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

yes!! every raya is the best raya in my kampung. and nothing beats having the family together especially when there's food involved :)

Rosyada September 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

wow, ada tempat hang out!
bestnyer!

sgt hari-raya friendly :-)

durra September 1, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

lawanya Alang Kenangan!
i think i no longer have a kampung.Bangi la kot kampungku

me September 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

syada : yes. when we were younger that place is overly-crowded especially during the eve of raya. tempat port bunga api hehe and the adults sometimes joined in.

durra : thanks! mari one day kita konvoi ke kanchong darat, banting hehe kan aimi's kampung belakang je hehe


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)