Online fraud

My family would know that I don't answer unknown numbers. It is all because of this.

It's been almost 2 years now, and I gotta tell you, those numbers kept on calling from time to time - just to 'follow-up' and trying to con me into paying some more money so that I can so-called continue my insurance policy *roll eyes*

Yes, I still palpitate; I get really scared that I thrash my phone deeper into my handbag to ignore those disturbing calls. And of course, I am one angry lady at the end of the day. I just feel I shouldn't be bothered as such (or anyone who's experiencing a similar situation for that matter). Many times I would get my husband to answer them (he gets irritated with the never ending incoming calls) and let me tell you, these people can be really rude. Like persistent, persuasive rude which makes your heart boil.

Then one fateful day came. An sms came in, one from Maybank, thanking me for a transaction I did. I was absolutely alarmed and I was dumbfounded for a second because no, I did not just complete the aforementioned transaction. Earlier that day, I did one - a monthly routine - to clear my credit card's debts but that's nothing to worry. The latter got me really anxious.

I made calls to Maybank which were, more or less vain attempts. I was frustrated that I wasn't entertained and here I was at the other end of the line, furious and fidgety. I mean, hello, we're not talking about a few ringgits here. It's a few hundreds!

It was not until a few days ago that I managed to get through *phew!* And my case was reported as online fraud. So I was told that I will be getting a replacement and that my old cc will be terminated. And that I will get a refund of the charged fee from Maybank. Alhamdulillah. The best solution, I guess.

The first thing that came to mind was those 'irresponsible people' who kept on calling and I guess they are to be blamed. Apparently, there is now a syndicate (can I call it that?) where 'stubborn' and 'irresponsible' agents who would simply charge one's credit card's account for the insurance renewal policy fee without our consensus. Yes, they do that. And I guess I am one of the unlucky ones. It is saddening and of course frustrating. I get really upset whenever I think about this. I am still baffled at how could this happened. 

Friends and readers, please be wary of such calls. Do not entertain them. We have our rights and they do not have any rights to simply charge us for something that we do not want. Steer away from the conversation politely if you already are and hang up. Trust me, they will be very persistent you have no idea. Three times a curse, so I know. 

To anyone who's working in such company, I am sorry. You guys just lost my trust and respect. Once bitten, twice shy. In my case, thrice. 

May we all be avoided from such fraud in the future.

0 Replies:


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)