missed calls

Not many know that I palpitate whenever any unknown number calls in. I've experienced enough to be this traumatized, not even once having the urge to answer the call.

I don't know about you, but my phone has been receiving calls from all sorts of service cards companies of late (well, actually for the past 7 months), which after several own investigations, turned out to be under one company. Let me tell you what they did. They will call, introduce themselves and said they are just checking on your credit cards, and somehow managed to con you into paying an amount of money for a year insurance and other benefits whenever you shop and if you want to travel. It's like a discount card of some sort that enables you to get special price at selected retail outlets and complimentaries from hotels.

I have to be honest, the first time I received that call, I was talked into believing that it's beneficial. Although I had to pay, I didn't mind because the benefits got me. The second time, I failed to bail myself out from a very persistent lady which left me regretting for having to pay another amount of money. The third and next calls somehow got me too because the tactic they used of asking me to confirm my details trapped me. No matter how persistent I was on wanting to disagree and accept the cards and insurance offered, I gave in. I just don't know why. I guess I was too tired to argue and I was too angry to speak anymore further.

Then one fateful day came. I received another call from a lady 'claiming' she's from another Service Card Center. My heartbeat was towering and I was breathing so fast. My hands were shaking literally.I was cursing silently as I decided to answer that unregistered number. The moment she uttered the words "
Okay, saya hanya nak confirmkan maklumat Puan ya. Boleh tak..." I cut her in quickly. I said almost sternly that I am not interested and thank you for calling. The last thing I need right now is another card which you people keep on offering. Thank you. I put down the phone before she could even responded. I was satisfied. I did the same when another similar call received. I cut him at the introduction.

It struck me as weird though that my husband has never received such calls (yet). Thinking about it makes me so angry you have no idea. Now, I still receive incoming, unfamiliar numbers. I ignored them - yes, every single one of them - unless they text me later introducing themselves. You see, sometimes I have teachers from other schools calling to ask about Headcount, my students calling to ask this and that.

And for that, I'm sorry for any unanswered calls.

Owh, and just out of curiosity, have you experienced any of this?

6 Replies:

Anonymous March 14, 2011 at 11:12 PM  

I did.
The first few times, they always called me at the wrong time (like when I'm really busy entertaing my girls), i answered " I'm busy at d mo, call me back at 3" Surprisingly,they won't. huhu
But after that, i just went "I'm not interested. Sorry"
Sometimes, i add "I have enough cards already"

me March 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM  

like you, i always received such calls when i'm teaching. back then i always answered those calls for fear of any emergencies. now, not anymore :)

Jarod Yong March 15, 2011 at 8:52 PM  

I kan dalam hutan. Manalah dapat benda benda mengarut macan ni?

me March 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

oh bestnyaaaaaaaaaaaa jarod!

alinyussuff March 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM  

I did!

It was after I received a credit card from a bank which i made a personal loan with. They offered the same thing, which almost made me into believing them, but I was curious because the number that appeared is a handphone number. A proper company would have a proper land line kan?

They would ask for the details, I refused by saying I have not seen the card as it is delivered to my homnetown. So after the second phone call, and after I kept giving them the same alasan , I said,'Ok kalau saya activate card saya, saya SMS awak balik kat no phone ni ye, goodbye now.'

And I have not received similar phone calls since then. And the credit card left not activated.

Cukuplah satu kad hahaha.

me March 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM  

i think these companies are trying to get money using this tactic lah. takpe, after this, we now know what to do kan? :)


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)