Passion, interest and intention

I believe that whatever we choose to do it's because of the passion we have towards it and a profound interest we possess; especially if we're talking about our choice of vocation.

I am a teacher because I want to be one, no doubt. I have always known I'd be a cikgu, much to many surprise. I know all of us can teach but it takes a special person to be the teacher if you know what I mean. I know I am destined to be one because I can be the agent of change. And alhamdulillah, I am happy with what I am doing so far.

Of course nothing comes easy. What were taught in theory doesn't always coincide in reality. And that's the challenge. I have my downs more than my ups especially when I started service and I remember I even thought of quitting just after a few days of teaching. I wrote it here. Impulsive, I know, but I was young and immature. Looking back, who would have thought I am still here, in my 4th year of service.

To me, passion and interest are not enough. What's ultimate is our intention, our niat. Many people say being a teacher is easy, and I have had my ears immuned to such general and condescending judgment over the years. While I was easily ticked by that before, I only smile now and secretly wish that whoever says that really knows what they are saying. 

I am not going to rant on and on what a teacher really does coz I think you would know by now our job scope (after being scrutinized over and over again). Yes, jadi cikgu memang senang tapi susah juga. Senang dapat pahala and susah dapat pahala juga.This, I have held onto for as long as I remember just so I know how to menjalankan tugas.

You slack a bit and you have a generation menuntut di akhirat kelak. You come in late to class, you owe your students that time they missed. So again, it's all your niat. And sincerity. I guess this applies to whatever job you're doing, too.

So when a colleague asked me why do I seem so happy with my work, I said "Why shouldn't I be? And why aren't you?" Though she's much elder that I am, I told her that it's about time she checks her intention and why she chose to be a teacher in the first place. If you got your niat right, I am sure everything will be ok, insyaAllah.

True, interest and passion can fade but I believe we can control what we want to happen. I pray that whatever I do, the little sacrifices, the extra miles that I went will grant me Jannah points insyaAllah.

And that this passion and interest will stay with me, amin.

5 Replies:

Haneesa January 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM  

we need more teachers like you :)

Nadia Bakly January 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM  

I always know: being a teacher is NEVER EASY! and it's freaking tiring regardless some people claimed "cikgu balik awal", "banyak free time". So wrong! Constantly moving, voice projection, focus- all the time, grading, marking, kesabaran, etc. Sangat penat and challenging! Not everyone can become a teacher. Yes the niat, without the pure intention none of us can be where we are now. Being a teacher is the most noble job, I always know that. My mom was a teacher ;), I understand how you feel. If only I can become your student now and give u a hug & a Happy Teacher's Day card ;p

me January 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM  

Haneesa - auww, thanks! I am still learning to be THE teacher.

Paan - True enough, those who have teachers as their family member would know and be empathetic enough with our job. It is undoubtedly VERY tiring but at the end of the day you know you're doing this for a good cause and you know you will receive the reward if not directly to you, but your own family or descend.

And I am sure your mom was a great teacher coz all her children turned out so well :)

Thanks Paan, you are so sweet :)

Rosyada January 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM  

Tasha, I love this post!

me January 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM  

Thanks Syada! :)


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)