A Korean Taste


I had my very first taste of Korean food when I was studying in Sydney. It was Kimchi. It was introduced by my friends who were, at that time, crazy over everything Korean (DBSK especially). I love it so much I had to restock it everytime I gobbled it down till the last piece.

Kimchi is like a vegetable jeruk with some chilli paste, vinegar, and sesame oil perhaps? I am not really sure, but I know Koreans make their own Kimchi and refrigerate them and it tastes so so good. The closest to what I've had in Sydney is the one in Seoul Garden BBQ and Steamboat. Perfect!

And then, during my final year there, my housemates and I welcomed a new member, a Korean girl. We called her Kay Onnie (Onnie is kakak in Korean coz she's elder than us). That's when the Korean food galore began. She would cook her Korean dishes almost everyday and to my surprise they are not that hard to prepare, just like our Malay dishes. She even went the extra mile to buy halal meat (she didn't even stock pork in the fridge) so that she could cook for us and eat together.

That's my brother and I, with Kay Onnie, during my visit to Sydney in 2009 @Pancakes On The Rock

My favourite has to be the Chicken/Meat Bulgogi. And it's not even hard to prepare. The ingredients are :

Chicken breast/fillets or meat cut into cubes
(depends on the portion you're cooking)
3-4 tbsp of sesame oil
(I like it very much so I add more coz it adds to the taste and the gravy)
1-2tbsp of sugar
2-3 tbsp of soy sauce
(again, depends on your liking. If you want to add more no problem. It sort of balanced the sweetness from the sugar and it gives darker colour to the dish)
Capsicum
(depends on how much you want it in your dish. This can always be substituted with other vegies eg carrots)
Holland onions, sliced
(to me, a very important ingredient to make it look like a Bulgogi hehe)

Steps :
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Mix well. Then refrigerate. The longer you marinate the better because all the flavours will seep into the meat. When it's time for you to eat, just take it out and pour the marinated chicken/meat into a pan and stir fry. You can always add some more sesame oil or soy sauce while frying.

Serve it hot with rice. Nyum!

2 Replies:

Anonymous January 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM  

It's one of my fav dish to cook. Healthy, senang masak & taste good! Hehe :) I always add in carrot and broccoli. Gotta try with capsicum later:)

me January 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM  

This was the first time I used carrots sebab capsicum habis n malas nak keluar beli hehe i like it better with capsicum plus it adds colour hehe


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)