my confinement

I get asked a lot about my confinement period, especially after I posted something related to that as my FB status. Well, let me tell you : my confinement isn't really a confinement per se.

Why? I have the coolest and most flexible mum in the world to begin with so I am not 'confined' to all those tedious ritual (if you could call it that) that our elders would insist on. I'm following what people would call the basics, nothing too complicated. Since I delivered normally I too, don't need the extra care like other caesarean mothers do.

Food-wise, I don't have problems with the clean-looking, soupy menu everyday though it gets me at times. Mum had tried cooking chicken based dishes and so far I don't develop any itchiness so yes, I have been having chicken some of the days. I snack in between, too, because God knows how hungry you can get after each breatfeeding session - chocolates, oat biscuits, doughnuts (hee, yes I eat them all, just to fill me up). Ada jugak sekali sekala teringin, mum let me have a bit of her Chicken McDeluxe, my MIL's curry mee (makan tauhu je pun), my brother's mee mamak and tosai - all in small amount. Alhamdulillah, no effects whatsoever.

And I drink lots and lots of water, contrary to the elders' belief "Jangan minum banyak air". My bidan said that to me, I angguk je. I mean, logically how can you not drink lots of water? You don't want to feel dehydrated and plus, you're breastfeeding - you need water! But I know where the rational comes from. If you drink too much water, it affects the number of times you'd visit the toilet. Hence, your wound will take a longer time to heal considering the times you wet the area. But, no. You need to drink. Drink some hot drinks too like Milo or Horlicks.

As for my confinement apparel, well, the typical Tshirt, kain batik and a pair of socks ensemble. A cardigan if I am feeling slightly chilly. My hair is tightly tied high in a bun. To complete the look, a thin layer of 'pilis' is applied on my forehead. I don't apply 'param' all over my body just because I don't want to. And mum's fine with it. Besides, I used to wear the traditional bengkung or corset the first week (I had a hard time tying and zig zagging it to make it tight since I still had a tiny bulge). Now, everyday is a breeze with the PB corset which is so easy to wear and it flattens your tummy almost immediately! I also wear the girdle which comes with the corset (a tight pants) to shape your hips and buttocks. Most importantly it helps to reduce stretch marks - and yes, it works!

I think what makes my confinement period (or others') difficult is having to deal with the wound's pain and how slow things can be for you. I remember spending forever in the toilet, having my bath (I bathe myself with air serai wangi, which is said to help reduce the smell of darah nifas - others sometimes bathe in air bunga), cleaning myself with such great care that I can't help but feel slightly handicapped and helpless. Everything is done is such a slow manner that it does take a toll on your emotion. You are already so very tired and sleepy, having to deal with other petty stuffs just makes you become so weepy and emotional that you can cry for no obvious reasons. I remember tearing up when I saw that my husband did not hang his praying mat properly. I cried again when the electricity suddenly went off one day. And I cried (again) on some random stuffs I can't even remember. On top of that, having to learn the art of breastfeeding (which is not even that easy, I assure you!), can be really stressful and emotional too.

So, I am now at my 30th day. I still have 14 days to go. I can't believe I have gone through a month of confinement. If you ask me, of course I am bored! The wonders of technology do wear off so I can't wait to step into the outside world! Konon lah kan, sebenarnya dah keluar pun! :)

Well, like I said mine isn't really a true confinement. I did go out a couple of times - once I tagged along with mum in the car together with Luqman and went for a rounding. And just a few days ago we went to Plaza Shah Alam to settle some things regarding Luqman's Aqiqah ceremony soon. So, yes, I took that chance as an excuse to leave the house and mum was okay with it too! Everything was okay despite having to move slowly and the time when Luqman started crying to be fed! So, we all chilled at Krispy Kreme (since it has a secluded corner where I could use to breastfeed) and yes, my first time breastfeeding Luqman in public was priceless (and quite troublesome since I didn't have the nursing cover with me yet). A short outing with a newborn proved to be tiring and definitely needs a lot of preparation.


So there, my confinement story. Nothing too out of the ordinary, though. To all moms-to-be, be prepared. Yes, your confinement can be a difficult phase, so toughen up and just remember we (women) are made fit to endure all of these. Yes, we can!

4 Replies:

L January 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM  

tasha, if suke makan pedas2, during confinement ni try makan pedas sikit2 like cili api, cili kering (lada hitam xtermasuk)..my bidan said utk ajar perut baby. nanti senang..

el 2x nangis..1st sebab orang ramai sangat berkampung kat rumah..rase serabut sangat. 2nd bile my bidan nak balik..hihi..

me January 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM  

Oh ye ke. So far the most pedas thing I have consumed is mak punya lauk sambal kentang, rasa sikit hehe ok, will try sikit2.

Kalau ramai sgt org pun pening kan, sorg ckp mcm ni, sorg suruh buat mcm tu. Alhamdulillah, my mum sgt ok, x cerewet so berpantang senang :)

zana zul February 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM  

hi rina..berpantang exactly like fira's..subway?kenny rogers?sambal kentang? u name it..semua dia bedal cuma malas nak pakai PB je..mak lang pun tak larat dah..hahah..as long as u n baby ok.. it should be fine kann..sayang tak dpt join the aqiqah tgk luqman jadi limelight..rambut simpan pegi pajak gadai ok!..hehehhe

me February 3, 2012 at 7:51 AM  

Ngeh ngeh ngeh

Tula, as long as mom and baby ok, should be fine.

Tp kenny rogers healthy ape. Subway pun. Shouldn't be a problem. I had a bite of subway the other day :)

It's ok, dah jumpa luqman haritu.tp tula yusuf clan ramai xde that day. Hopefully luqman will behave :)


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)