first tetanus shot

I received my first tetanus shot 2 days back during my check-up. As I am now entering my 31st week, it is about time I am jabbed.


So why do pregnant ladies need to be jabbed with tetanus vaccine? Throughout your first pregnancy, you will be given two shots, both during your third trimester. From what I have read, this vaccine is for your body to produce antibodies that will help to protect you from any possibilities due to bleeding after you have given birth. So, it is a preventive measure to avoid something bad from happening to you and your baby. This vaccine will not affect or hurt the baby in the womb in any way as the vaccine do not go through the placenta.

As I don't have a faint heart or anything against needles, I was fine. The doctor did mention that it was going to hurt, but personally, it was not that bad. Well, not until that night. My arm became sore and a touch at the injected spot seem to hurt. I could still put up my arm but without a feel of pain. My husband said not to worry much as it is normal to feel that way after an injection.

That night when I was awaken from my sleep, I felt a tingling sensation on my left arm and my palm and fingers were cramped. I let out a small cry and I told my husband about it. He said I might have slept on my left side, thus the pain. I tried moving my fingers to ease the pain and cramp, and it subsided after a while.

It has been three days. The pain is still there and my upper arm is starting to swell a bit. I would wake up from sleep with a cramped arm and fingers. I got worried so I googled about tetanus shot and its side effects. Turns out, I am not alone. Every pregnant lady experiences what I am experiencing and it is normal. This vaccine affects your nerve system and its flow so it is normal to experience the cramps. Pheww!

It takes approximately one week for the pain to ease. I am lucky because I don't nauseate, my hands are not shaking and I don't feel like blacking out anytime. It is suggested that if the pain still prevails, I should dab the injection spot with a warm towel - just to decrease the swelling. So hopefully, the pain will subside soon.

Anyway, that meeting with the doctor was my last at the clinic as I will continue my upcoming check-ups at the hospital that we have chosen for me to deliver, that is Darul Ehsan Medical Centre (DEMC) at Shah Alam. We have been referred and alhamdulillah, for our next appointment we got the O&G that we wanted!


As for the baby, alhamdulillah, he is doing absolutely great. He has grown and he now weighs at 1.8 kg already! He was only 720g the last time we checked. His position is excellent, my water in the womb is sufficient, and my placenta is in place. I gained 3kg this time, a kilo extra but doctor said it is fine :) As of now, I weigh 62kg (erk!).

So, hopefully everything goes well. Can't wait for the appointment this coming Monday!

0 Replies:


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)