names

I have always known what to name my children. Before we were married, my husband and I have talked about this a couple of times and we sort of agreed to a few names. Suffice to say, we are still sticking to the same decided ones before.

Ever since we found out the gender of our baby (we will be expecting a boy, insyaAllah!), we can never be happier. And we are very certain of our choice of name. To me, giving names is such a joy, just as parents are when they are blessed with a child.

It is reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
"On the Day of Resurrection, you will be called by your names and by your fathers' names, so give yourselves good names." (Hadith Abu Dawud).

Therefore, one of our first duties towards our child besides giving care and love is to give them good, meaningful names.

I have a liking for traditional, historical Arabic names. To me, they are simple not to mention meaningful, too. So yes, our children will be named as such. Though we have already decided on a few, we still google the internet for other names just for fun. We would mix and match a few names and agree or disagree if they sound pleasant or not. It has become our favourite past time. Those names we came up with are special to us that we feel like naming our children with each one, but of course, I don't think a dozen of kids is what we plan on having!

Since we have a few as our favourites to choose from, I think we might have to draw lots. Better still, perform the Istikharah prayer.

Whatever it is the names that we (will) finally decide on, hopefully it will befit our child and his life, insyaAllah!

2 Replies:

Jarod Yong October 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM  

Thank you.

I'm tired off laughing at children named after outdated stars of yesteryear.

Meaningful names are timeless & will serve as an inspiration to the child.

me October 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM  

You're welcome! :)

I share your thoughts on this.


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)