time to kill

The fact that I've been coming to an almost deserted school for two days in a row and not teach seems too good to be true--although to not come at all seems like a better option. I'm not used to coming to school and relax (like totally goyang kaki), it feels weird. Yesterday, I came to school feeling totally out of place. I actually searched for work that needs to be finished -- only to find that I had none!

So here's what I observed when teachers have all the time in the world :

1. You take a detour around the school (regardless of how much you know the school, every nooks and corners) - well, just because.

2. They sit at the cafeteria for hours just because you don't get to do that on every other day.

3. One actually washes and arranges all the cutleries in the 'Makan-makan' Section of the Staffroom. That's something you can't witness in a daily basis, can you?

4. You walk aimlessly around the school.

5. You get all fidgety and actually can't wait to go into your only class that day which is not on holiday.

6. You don't seem to realise that you actually finished the whole tin of biscuits because that's what you've been doing the whole day -- munching!

7. You actually go through all the reference books and discover some which you don't even know existed.

8. You sleep 'soundly'.

9. You keep on asking "Is it time already?"

10. When the bell finally rings, EVERYONE stands up in unison!

Such a sedentary day. I wonder if this is what it feels like to work in an office, where you just sit at your own cubicle, bury your head in whatever task you have. But I guess I can't complain. After all, this is what I've been waiting for -- the ultimate privilege of just relaxing, the days saved from all the exhaustion and hassle which most of us are so used to.

4 Replies:

sd. October 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

munching.

a very healthy way untul membesar dengan pantas. :)

Jarod Yong October 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

ahhh~~
The luxuries of teaching in a Primary School.

Why dont you do some kind of activity?
Like a students sketch or something?
English week?

Rosyada October 9, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

saya pun mati kutu tak tahu nak buat apa... hahaha

me October 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

sd : it wasn't me haha

jarod : in case you forget, i'm teaching secondary. and how can i do those things? my students are not even in school haha

syada : kan??


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)