life plan

Once, I dared myself a question. I didn't like the question much but I guess it was just an excuse not to hear it being said out loud. I asked myself, if ever I decided to leave this profession what would I do? I've always thought that I have Plan B, but truth is, I don't. I mean, I hear many people say that they are going to leave teaching and do something else to fend themselves but quite the majority of those who said that actually have their own plans. And they seem to know which path to lead. In other words, they've been planning and apparently I don't.

For a start, I don't think I'm going to leave. Not so soon. I've just found my footing and it'd be great to actually go through this whole teaching experience probably a few years down the road. For now, I'm giving myself 4 years tops. The duration might extend though, but then I ask myself again, for what reason am I limiting myself to the amount of years mentioned? Okay, let's say four years have gone. Great. And then what exactly?

You see? I don't have a plan. To say that I don't have any is probably an understatement. Okay, I do have plan(s), but it is so vague I don't even know what I'm going to do. They're all jumbled up and somehow they have lost that priority. Getting married doesn't count. It is sort of a planned resolution all the way.

It scares me to think that there might be nothing else that I can do that quite suit my nature. I'm not saying that teaching is totally my forte (that is even scarier come to think of it). But at least it's something that I can do. I have to. All my life, all I could remember is wanting to become a teacher/educator. I've never wanted to become an engineer, a lawyer, and doctor is definitely out of the list.

So yes. It hits me that I might be in this line for quite some time. It's a vast field. I might still be a teacher but with a slightly higher post. I'm allowed to climb the social ladder, too kan? I might be the PK or the Pengetua. Maybe I'll be a lecturer come another 10 years? Or maybe I'll remain as an English teacher. For now, it doesn't seem like a problem.

A friendly conversation with a senior teacher whom I met in a recent course soothed me a little. She said, "I would never leave teaching. If ever I was given a chance, I'd never become a lecturer. I'd probably have my Masters or pHd, but I'll still be in school. It's such a pleasant experience being around with school kids. It's undescribable. I enjoy myself" (somewhere along that line)

I guess we'll see.

2 Replies:

sd. July 21, 2009 at 9:26 AM  

i may leave this profession for admin work.

that's my plan.

but as u said, let's see.

soyasofya July 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

now that i've been teaching for 7 months- i love teaching as much as i loathe it! there are times when i think i wanna quit one day and just do something else. shortly after, reality slaps me and i found myself thinking about financial stability- especially now, when i'm no longer a miss, i might have kid(s) one day and i cant put their lives into jeopardy just because i feel like quitting and do something else. this might not hold true for all singles out there, but, hey, marriage is a planned resolution, we just got to be a little more sensible towards our loved ones. (oh, me talking about life after marriage. wow)

p/s: moving up the social ladder sounds a great plan!


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)