gone but not forgotten

It has been 11 days now since my father-in-law passed away - a fact that neither of us could really grasp until this day.

His sudden departure was something that we weren't prepared for. He wasn't sick and there were no signs shown of him leaving. When we received the call after Maghrib on the 31st of October, the news was like a pang. My husband was shaking. I was trembling. It was only the day before that we talked, had late lunch together - our usual weekend routine. Who would have thought that that would be the last we saw of him.
The Almighty says, "No self knows what it will earn tomorrow and no self knows in what land it will die." (W31:33; H31:34)
I still remember him smiling, when we took our leave the day prior. A smile which touched my heart. A smile which I don't quite comprehend for it was either a sign of content or pure happiness. When I think back, the smile was like he knew he was leaving, and that he's happy that we came to visit. I know we are happy that we visited.

He was only 59. Young, yes. But again, as The Almighty says,
"When their specified time arrives, they cannot delay it for a single hour nor can they bring it forward," (16:61)
He was a pensioner so he was alone when he passed away. But knowing that he left in a good way was so relieving, alhamdulillah. My mother-in-law found him lying on the praying mat when she came back from work. He must have collapsed while praying or after - with his wudhu' on him, masyaAllah!

Everyone in my husband's family is putting up a strong front,but I know deep down they are battling the grief. One can only imagine what they are feeling, especially my mother-in-law. As a wife, I am trying my level best to keep my husband strong. I will never forget the way he cried the day we received the news. It made me cry. Now and then, it touches my heart listening to him narrating memories of the past involving my late father-in-law.

Though my time spent with him was not long, I will remember him fondly. A wise man he was, his advice and reminders will always be remembered. How I wished he could meet this baby, his second grandchild. May he be placed among the good and may his soul be blessed by Him.

Al-Fatihah.

6 Replies:

Anonymous November 11, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

I'm sorry to hear about the news.My condolences to Rizal,you n family.Semoga roh ditempatkan dikalangan orang yang beriman.

Durra

L November 11, 2011 at 11:52 AM  

takziah ijal & tasha.
semoga rohnya dicucuri rahmat..insyaallah..

me November 12, 2011 at 9:10 AM  

thank you Durra and Elyina. *hugs*

ainjani November 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM  

takziah Tasha & husband. Moga terus tabah melalui dugaan hebat ini. Sama2 doakan rohnya ditempatkan di kalangan mereka yg beriman. ameen.

Umm Khadeejah November 13, 2011 at 12:45 AM  

Innalillahiwainnailahirraji'un

Takziah Tasha and Rizal. Sorry to hear this news. Please send my regards to him.

Hope u both stay strong okay.

me November 14, 2011 at 12:11 PM  

Thank you Ain and Jaime! *hugs*


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)