parenthood experience

As newbies, you could imagine how psyched we were making our way to the Parenthood Expo last Saturday. I, especially, was anticipating many things. For the most part, we were anxious to know what awaits us. Even as early as 11 am, the exhibition hall was already jam-packed with eager parents and their kids. Pregnant moms were everywhere! Strollers of all kinds were being pushed here and there, causing some traffic which to me was unavoidable. I tried my best to squeeze into tiny spaces to save myself from the suffocation. It's a good thing my tummy is still tiny or I would have bumped mine into others'. That's how crowded the area was. My husband had to hold my hand all the time for fear of losing me in the sea of people as one poor husband did.

At the entrance
So, we scouted around first. We pretty much went to all booths and marked those which we thought could do with a second visit. To tell you the truth, we weren't that familiar with most of the brands or outlets so we only focused on names/brands which we planned on buying initially. Our first stop was at a booth which displayed the breast pump that I wanted. I finally resorted to buying Spectra 3 Electric Breast Pump after getting good reviews from a few friends who have and been using it. Plus, it isn't costly which certainly is up for grabs. The specifications are pretty similar to an international brand I know so I will have to wait for another 5 months to know if it really functions well. I don't want to pay too much attention to brand because I feel that what works for some might not work for me. So, I am just going to be happy and certain with my choice. I also bought some storage bottles which were on sale. Next, we moved on to strollers. This was mostly my husband's choice. He eyed one from Graco and off we went to the booth. For starters, there were many to choose from so I got dizzy for a while. Like seriously. My husband was so ecstatic it's like he's buying a car. I have never seen him that excited so I let him be. We then decided to get the 3in1 kind which we planned on buying. Just so you know, all the items were on discounts, so you could imagine how thrilled we were. The price was in our range of budget so we closed the deal before we started to change our minds.
Ours is similar to this googled picture, only it is in one colour tone.

While waiting for the worker to assemble our stroller

Next, we searched for infant feeding bottles. I only want bottles which are BPA-free because I do not want my baby to be exposed to chemicals which might leech from BPA plastic bottles. However, most feeding bottles now are BPA-free since all products are beginning to take heed the government's safety measure. A friend suggested The First Years and I searched for it. I loved the product instantly! I grabbed The First Years : Breastflow Bottles set for only RM79.90 with a 30% discount.


This is what the set contains

Besides, these bottles work naturally like breastfeeding. The baby will be able to control the flow of the milk when they drink from the bottle just like when they are breastfeeding. I plan to breastfeed my baby so these bottles will be used only when I am off to work, insyaAllah. Plus, the nipple or teat mimics the feel of a breast so hopefully my baby will not face confusion later. Still, I have to wait for another 5 months to really know if it works well or not.

I also grabbed the Safe and Certain Microwave Sterilizer from The First Years. This will be used to sterilized used bottles and all the equipments using the microwave. It was cheap after a 50% discount. I couldn't help buying, but of course it is necessary.
After that last purchase, I decided to call it a day. My feet were failing me and I was exhausted. Plus, we were starving so we made our way out with all of our purchases (now we became one of those who caused the traffic with our stroller!) and I couldn't be more relieved to finally breathe the fresh air outside the stuffy hall.

So there. My sharing of our parenthood experience. December baby, we can't wait!

2 Replies:

Haneesa August 4, 2011 at 9:31 AM  

owh! a baby bump! :)

so lucky you've slashed all the important things off the list. mesti tak sabar nak jumpa baby :)

me August 5, 2011 at 10:14 AM  

alhamdulillah! for now we are just going to 'rest' our pocket until it's time to get other important things :) of course, we can't wait!


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)