SAPS

I'm pretty sure by now most teachers are familiar with the new web-based system known as Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah or SAPS in short. According to the NKRA Unit,

"Sistem ini diwujudkan untuk kemudahan kepada pengguna-pengguna di setiap peringkat warga KPM (sekolah, PPD dan JPN) supaya boleh melaksanakan tugas-tugas Pengumpulan data secara yang lebih sistematik dan praktikal berkaitan, Head count, Data mata pelajaran, Enrolmen murid, Data guru mata pelajaran, Profil sekolah"

Implemented in July, SAPS has received raving feedback from teachers nationwide.

Frankly, I had my significant reservations when I was first told and briefed about SAPS. I thought it very unlikely that such system would work. There were a lot going on my mind and I had my worries as a Setiausaha Headcount (I work closely with Setiausaha Peperiksaan) while I prepared myself to drop the bomb to the teachers at my school. I was very skeptical. Many teachers question whether such system is necessary, too.

You see, even with our previously adopted assessment system, my school has been facing problems of our own regarding keying-in the examination data. Getting all teachers to meet the dateline is such an ordeal that we (myself and our S/U Peperiksaan) have to constantly console each other to keep our sanity. It is such a hassle chasing teacher after teacher who don't seem to care. So yes, with this new system, I am very very skeptical, what more with it being online.

As expected, SAPS proves to be a lot of a problem. We started with a fitful attempt just trying to log into the system. For one, the server is always busy and it takes hours to just key-in the data for a class. It causes major frustrations to us teachers and it affects our lesson as this is what we can only think about. With a shared dateline, it's no surprise that the server always hang due to heavy traffic. Plus, with a weak Internet connection at school, most of us have to work at home. To me, SAPS is sapping us, already tired teachers.

Ever since this system is implemented, my husband has seen me work extra hours at home. He's complained a bit, but there's nothing that I can do. I have to constantly monitor my school's progress and try to solve the problems faced by teachers so that they can key-in the data online, which I don't have the time while I'm in school. I am giving the best to help them but sometimes that's as much as I can do because the server, more often than not, does not do us justice.

However, I have to say that I am surprised and grateful to majority of the teachers in my school because they seem to cooperate well. They waste no time keying-in and it made my job a lot easier. Their effort is something that I truly appreciate, especially those senior teachers who are 'technologically challenged' to put it nicely. Of course, with only a week left, there are still some (expected) beings who don't seem to care and show no effort or signs of wanting to start. Being the Admin, I have the advantage of knowing who's done it and who's not, which is cool by the way :)

While I appreciate and applaud the Education Ministry's project in reducing teachers' workload, for now, all I can see is the system is failing most of us. I still don't see how it will be really useful and I am anticipating future decisions about this.

I am still remained skeptical, but of course, I hope what seem like an aimless start will create the beginnings of a common ground which we all can work together to achieve the initial objective.

0 Replies:


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)