car story

It never really occurred to me that cars could really 'eat up' almost your entire savings for maintenance. It's only the first week of the month and I've had my car sent to the workshop twice and burnt my pocket pretty bad.

The first time it was sent to repair the damage done by yours truly, for I unknowingly hit the fire hydrant at school, which in retrospect was quite silly and embarrassing. The fire hydrant is
fine, thanks for asking. Those things aside, the site of the dented door and the 'peeled' car skin was embraced with a huge sigh and a moment of silence before being alarmed by a student's scream, "Teacherrrr, pintu kereta kemek teruukkk!!!" Thus, second humiliation ensued as more students began to realise what just happened. I kept it cool, went out of the car and smiled, knowing that I'm going to burn my pocket just when I thought I could spend the recently received salary on whatever things. Anyway, the car is now as brand new, you could never have guessed that one of the doors suffered a terrible hit. As much as I'm happy and relieved, the money had to go.

The second time was just last week to fix the aircond. Unbeknown to many, my precious little car has been a sauna spot for more than 2 weeks now. I swear I've lost a few pounds on trips back and forth to school. Imagine a miserable-looking lady driving in the third lane with a sweaty face, with her palm constantly wiping the forehead.
Menyedihkan, I know. Macam penat sungguh, mengalahkan orang yang membanting tulang di sawah padi. I don't know how I managed to put up with such warmth and uneasiness every single day for the past 2 weeks. Husband sent it to the workshop, the mechanic called, and delivered bad news.

"You punya cooling coil ah, sudah bocor. Mesti kasi ganti satu set"

Oh man! Knowing that the local spare parts do not cater to my kind of car, you have to take only the original one. And I know (not just any amount) money had to go. With a heavy heart and more burnt pocket, we said yes. And I am now a happy person with a fixed air-cond, you could wear a winter coat with only the lowest fan turned on!

1 Replies:

Anonymous March 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.

The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)