the sillyness of the mouth

Have you ever felt like you're the dumbest person on earth after something you've said? That you feel like hitting yourself on the head for saying those things?

I do. Especially when I try to be nice or friendly to people whom I have recently acquainted with during friendly conversations. I wish I could say the right things and not feel the terrible awkwardness creeping in right after. Laughters and silly responses from others are much better than the terrible silence you cause in the few seconds.I don't know what's wrong with me but it happens to me almost all the time.

Like this one time at the hospital after my mom's operation, we were visited by our neighbour. The topic of the caramel pudding she gave us came up. We thanked her again and we complimented her of the delicious dessert and that we all loved it. And I said, "Ada lagi kat rumah dalam fridge". Then there was silence. That was when I realised the pudding was given to us like 2 weeks before, which by calculation should be finished considering how delicious it tastes. I could have left it at that, but konon-konon nya nak coverline, I added, "Sedap sangat sayang nak makan". My sister gave me a look that if there was a power to it, I am a cursed stone by now.

Another example was last week when I attended my friend's housewarming party. I met J, a new acquaintance and I was introduced to his girlfriend. Assuming that she's the girl who F (my friend) used to tell me, I tried to use that as a way of starting a friendly conversation with her.
Me : Dulu sekolah x ye?
Her : *looks puzzled" Hah? Taklah.
Me : Oh, dulu F ada cakap you sek situ? Eh nama you apa again?
Her : N.
Me : *why does she have a different name?* Oh. takpelah, silap dengar kot masa F ckp dulu. *then senyum2 kambing*
Her : Hurmm... (terus diam)
Later I asked F about it and she screamed! Apparently, N is J's new girlfriend. I mean, It's not totally my fault kan? Nobody told me about it.

And this last example is totally classic. Everytime I think about it, I feel like a total idiot. I was checking-in at a hotel in Seremban. The receptionist informed me that they have single beds and king-size beds and which one would I prefer. Remembering what my dad wanted, I replied politely, "Do you have queen-size beds?". I could tell the receptionist looked totally dumb-founded but she tried to urge a respond in which she said no. And so I said I'll go for the king-size bed. When I told my sister, she gave me a look which I couldn't quite comprehend. She said, "What's wrong with you? Dah ada king-size tu ambik jelah. Apesal nak bed-size yang lagi kecik?" And she burst into a terrible, condescending laughter.That's when I got it. Rasa bodohnya!

And I still feel that total embarrassment, even until now.

4 Replies:

Rosyada February 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

"Sedap sangat sayang nak makan"<--- tasha, how could u???? ROTFL

Fiza Pushie February 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

best! hhahahaha!! XD

Anonymous February 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM  

I feel u coz I experienced d same thg too, Tasha!

I remember this one time a girl come to me asking about a schoolmate & his (former) gf. At that time, I don't have the idea that they'd break off.
Girl: Ain, do you know J & his gf, M?
Me: Yes, they're my schoolmate.
Girl: How well do u knw them?
Me: Err, not really well but the whole school knew that they're an item. Why? Do u knw them?
Girl: Saje tanya. My fren la yg tanya. So, u r saying that they meant for each other?
Me: I don't know. I didn't knw much but frm my frens, they're such a lovey-dovey. J cares for M and M love J very much. Selalu gak kena tangkap ngn cikgu sebab dating & bagi surat2 cinta.
Girl: *mean look*

A day after then only I knew that this girl is J's new gf!

owh, my mouth! =D

me February 27, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

syada : i know right? it was soo so silly!!

pushie : hehe takpe, gelak2 aku pun gelak jugak bila ingat :)

ain : we can't blame ourselves. we didn't know kan? hehe


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)