Eid is here!

I anticipate raya this year would be different than last year. Good and bad.

My heart shrinks just thinking about the number of close cousins who won't be around at Kanchong (my mom's side) because they are all away raya-ing at their in-laws. Most of them are celebrating raya as married couples this year (first time la katakan). And quite a few are away at their paternal/maternal kampungs - the usual turn. I guess it will be the kids (oh dear!) and us.

Since we've moved, there will be no takbir rumah ke rumah like we used to do yearly back in Jalan 5 on raya night. From the looks of it, it would be just our house, our next door neighbour and the 2 houses opposite that will light the whole jalan with our porch and garden lights. It's very quiet here. Not at all in a raya spirit!

But, I foresee a great raya too because I've been informed of a few family gatherings of my paternal side, which I absolutely cannot wait! Ayah's family is all over the place and the globe, mind you. So even when it's raya, it's difficult to get everybody together due to the distance. And ever since both of my paternal grandparents passed away many many years ago, we didn't really have a place to go back to. Ayah's siblings are all scattered, so nobody has really been the one to tie everybody together. We've never strayed, it's just that we don't see each other that much. So to have such gathering means a lot to me and the rest.

I guess the only, ONLY thing that I truly anticipate are the open houses!! Who wouldn't right? As most of my friends are married, it'll be great going from house to house as opposed to going to their family's house like before.

And owh, is it that bad if I say I can't wait for raya to pass just because that would mean I'm getting closer to my wedding? Haha

Happy Eid everybody! And enjoy the holidays fellow teachers because once school commences, prepare for the gushing of headaches and pressures :)

Go knock yourself out with the food!

3 Replies:

Nina Samad September 10, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

tash, it's not bad at all. it would also mean i'm getting closer to my engagement =P and yes, i can't wait for your wedding =) and nisya's, and dayah's =)

Jarod Yong September 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM  

Selamat Hari Raya!

me September 13, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

nina : kan? hehe i cant wait for mine too but too bad i'll miss your engagement and nisya's wedding

jarod : thank you!!


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)