The Help

Recently, I finished reading Anita Shreve's A Change in Altitude and Kathryn Stockett's The Help.

Shreve has made its way to my favourite list ever since I read Testimony. However, her latest novel left me unsatisfied, unlike Testimony. Not the slightest bit gripping. In fact, it had me yawning all the way, not at all impressed with the suspense it built throughout. I was eager to finish it just because. When I finally did, I was relieved. I don't recommend this to anyone. Do google to find out more about the story.

Now, The Help is another story. It is truly an epitome of don't judge a book by it's cover.


This book is special because it is. It's about something real, about the life of the black maids in Mississippi who raised the white children when anti-integration was prevalent. This book is an antidote of their lives, their experiences working with the whites and raising their kids when it could well be their parents' job. That they are called the help, which aptly described what they are. At times humorous and heart-wrenching, this book is a rejoice for humanity and justice. All the time I was thinking that Oprah Winfrey would be perfect for the role of Aibileen - if ever it's going to be made into a movie. Definitely a good read and you'll be moved by it in some ways.

After reading it, I can definitely relate to what the help does. As teachers, I think we are a big help to the kids. We spend more time with them than their parents do. We discover qualities and weaknesses, and we strive hard to give the best to our clients although at times parents don't quite appreciate what we do with their children.

Teachers get students sharing with them stories and secrets which they don't tell their parents and we become a shelter to some who come from a broken one. Students find solace in us when they feel like their parents don't care. And we help them reach the best. We help them to be literate and make them realise that having a dream can bring them far in life.

Whether we realise it or not, we, teachers are the help. It's ironic really that society/parents depend so much on us but there is also this stigma about us that's not really pleasing. Just as the whites would be out of hand without the help, try imagine a world without teachers.

Quoted : "If you read only one book, let this be it". Very true indeed!

1 Replies:

Rosyada September 7, 2010 at 1:41 AM  

"It's ironic really that society/parents depend so much on us but there is also this stigma about us that's not really pleasing."<---oh, sgt betul!


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)