therapeutic

You know what's therapeutic?


Pictures. They always do. They have that special way of making me feel completely relieved. Especially now that I am missing my yesterlife in Australia, I’ve been looking at them pictures and being easily transported to that time of my life each time.


I probably would relive my time there once more because there’s just so much I want to do yet nothing that I want to mend. Mistakes made are the ones I learned best from (and also the ones I remember clearly). So yes, pictures lighten me up and they allow me to close my eyes for a while and dream again. Knowing that I was once there, lived there, breathed the air and walked on that soil, it just puts a smile on my face.


Some pictures do make me cringe, (I once embodied a ‘cool’ sense of style haha) just as bad memories do. But fashion police aside, they all have a story to tell. I remember them all. In fact, I can replay the scene prior to the picture taken and after or events related to that particular photo.


Sometimes, I would have this sudden yearning to look at my family’s really old albums, going back to the time when my parents were still courting. I don’t know about you, but I find it really therapeutic - to see who their friends were, to make out how young and carefree they looked and of course to see a trace of them in me. It’s reassuring, I don’t know why. It’s the same when I look at pictures of me and my friends. The memories and stories start to gush that I find it overwhelming yet comforting.


Pictures are like an elaborated timeline. They are intricate and they have a way of making me feel calm. Just like they say, a picture paints more than a thousand words. And it definitely paints my world.

1 Replies:

Jarod Yong September 6, 2010 at 11:17 PM  

I agree.
There are always bitter-sweet memories when it comes to pictures.


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)