the call

There is always something uneasy when the house phone rings at odd hours, rousing everyone who joltly awaken with hammering hearts. Normally, the call would mean only one thing -- a way for bad news to reach the recipients.

So when the house phone rang around 5 am this morning, everyone was anxious. My mom answered the call. Her shocked expression confirmed my initial assumption. When she put down the receiver, I didn't have to ask for her to say, "Pakcik Salim jatuh. Dia pengsan. Ayah, pergi tengok". My heart drummed so fast I can't even reply. When it happened, there were only his wife and his youngest daughter. His other 3 children were at their own homes. I was told that it had something to do with his heart problem. Another neighbour rushed him to the hospital sebab tunggu ambulans lambat sangat.

Pakcik Salim is my neighbour. I grew up with him around. I played with his children and we still have that bond. Infact, the whole of Jalan 5 are pretty much a knit-tight family. Every auncle and aunty are like our parents and every child is regarded as their own. They've seen me matured and I've witnessed them ageing, too. A few pakciks had passed away over the years -- many of whom were gone while I was abroad, the news came shocking like a huge tidal wave.

I don't know what to feel if it was ayah. Pakcik Salim is about my father's age. I don't even want to think about it. Tapi, malang itu tidak berbau. It doesn't choose. Dan kita tidak dapat lari daripada ajal. I hope and pray that Pakcik Salim will be fine.

******edited******

Just seconds after this post was published, another phone call came. Allah lebih sayangkan Pakcik Salim. Innalillahiwainnaillahirraji'un.


The Writer

The Writer
I am a wife, a mother, and a teacher by profession. At times a pessimist and one who is easily amused. I find comfort once entering the threshold of my bedroom. I write because I want to and it makes me feel good :)